All contents of the StoryCommons web site are protected by U.S. and international copyright laws.
Users are free to browse, read, study, do research, and copy or download stories in the Commons with attribution, for personal, non-commercial purposes only, but cannot make derivative works of any kind from the stories.
Any other publication, reproduction, or transmission by any means mechanical or electronic of the stories in the Commons without our permission is strictly prohibited. We ask that you submit a request for such use to StoryCommons by email.
If you submit your story to the Commons, you retain copyright to your own story and grant permission to StoryCommons to include and post your story in the Commons, to use it for promotional, non-commercial purposes, such as advertisements, books, and other products, and agree that your story will become and remain the property of StoryCommons as long as you choose to have it deposited here.
BY COMPLETING THIS AGREEMENT, CLICKING THE BUTTON THAT SAYS “I ACCEPT,” AND PROVIDING YOUR STORY CONTENT YOU ARE ENTERING INTO A LEGALLY BINDING CONTRACT CONVEYING MUTUALLY IMPORTANT LEGAL RIGHTS AND RESPONSIBILITIES. IF YOU DO NOT AGREE TO ALL TERMS HEREIN, YOU SHOULD INSTEAD CLICK “CANCEL” TO EXIT THIS AGREEMENT. BY ACCEPTING THIS AGREEMENT AND PROVIDING YOUR STORY CONTENT YOU WILL BE UNDERSTOOD TO HAVE ACCEPTED ITS TERMS.
Non-Exclusive Release Agreement
In consideration for assistance with composing and preserving my story, subject to my own retained right to use the information, I hereby:
- Grant to StoryCommons, an organization existing under the laws of the State of Maine, the right to store, index, archive, publish, provide third parties access, disseminate, publicize, and otherwise make use of my submitted story information in perpetuity as it wishes in photographic, print, video, electronic, digital, or any other medium that may be invented in the future, throughout the world, without compensation, with or without mention of my name, and in so doing waive my right to any associated privacy.
- Release StoryCommons, its staff, advisors, constituents, and agents, from all claims, damages and expenses incurred by me arising out of or in connection with my story content, except to the extent that those claims, damages and expenses are the direct result of the negligence of StoryCommons; PROVIDED that any liability for StoryCommons under this Agreement shall be limited by the provisions and limitations of the Maine Tort Claims Act, 14 M.R.S.A §8101, et seq.
- Represent and warrant that I am at least 18 years old.
- Represent and warrant that all story information submitted by me is truthful and accurate, is my own original work, and does not compromise the confidentiality, privacy, publicity, or infringe the copyright or other proprietary rights of any other party.
- Agree to not use abusive, obscene, defamatory, libelous, racist, or sexually explicit language in my story information.
- Grant StoryCommons the right to lightly edit my story content to ensure that it meets the standards set in the above two items, and for any copyediting and formatting, if needed. No amount of editing will relieve me of the promises and obligations, indemnity, and limitations of liability I have agreed to herein. If my story is deemed to not meet the standards set in the above two items, I further grant StoryCommons the right to refuse to post my story. When posted, I also agree that my story will become and remain the property of StoryCommons.
- Agree to indemnify StoryCommons, its constituents, staff, advisors, and affiliates, from and against all loss, damage, cost and expense (including reasonable attorney’s fees) suffered or sustained by StoryCommons or for which StoryCommons may be held or become liable by reason of injury (including death) to persons or property or other causes whatsoever, in connection with the use of Information.
- Agree that this Release should be construed and interpreted pursuant to the laws of the State of Maine, and if any portion thereof is held invalid, request the remainder continue in full force and effect.
StoryCommons is not responsible for the content of any sites which may be linked to this site. These links are provided for your convenience only and you access them at your own risk.
IN SUBMITTING MY STORY, I EXPRESSLY UNDERSTAND AND AGREE THAT I PROVIDE STORY INFORMATION AT MY OWN RISK.
I UNDERSTAND THAT SERVICES OF STORYCOMMONS ARE PROVIDED ON AN “AS IS” AND “AS AVAILABLE” BASIS, AND THAT NO WARRANTY IS BEING MADE THAT THE SERVICES WILL MEET MY REQUIREMENTS OR THAT THE SERVICE WILL BE UNINTERRUPTED, TIMELY, OR ERROR-FREE.
IN NO EVENT SHALL I HOLD STORYCOMMONS LIABLE FOR ANY INDIRECT, SPECIAL INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THIS AGREEMENT OR THE SUBJECT MATTER, REGARDLESS OF WHETHER STORYCOMMONS KNOWS OR SHOULD KNOW OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES.
I UNDERSTAND THAT THE FOREGOING EXCLUSIONS AND LIMITATIONS SHALL APPLY TO ALL CLAIMS AND ACTIONS OF ANY KIND, WHETHER BASED IN CONTRACT, TORT, OR ANY OTHER GROUNDS.
I declare that I completely understand and have fully informed myself of the terms and conditions of this Release by having read it, or having had it read to me before agreeing to its terms.